Sustainable communities are communities planned, built, or modified to promote sustainable living. This may include sustainability aspects relating to development, water, transportation, energy, and waste and materials. They tend to focus on environmental sustainability (including development and agriculture) and economic sustainability. Sustainable communities can focus on sustainable urban infrastructure and/or sustainable municipal infrastructure.
Learn more about our region at www.groundswellsjv.org
On June 16, 2009 the federal Partnership for Sustainable Communities was formed. As part of this collaboration, the Sustainable Communities Initiative was launched to help improve access to affordable housing, create more transportation options and lower transportation costs, while protecting the environment in communities nationwide.
- LIVABILITY PRINCIPLES
- Provide more transportation choices.
- Promote equitable, affordable housing.
- Enhance economic competitiveness.
- Support existing communities.
- Coordinate and leverage federal policies and investment.
- Value communities and neighborhoods.